Thursday, July 15, 2010

the language of egg corns

I love language and can be a bit of a stickler when it comes to using correct grammar. (I also get this from my mom.) I'm sure I make my share of mistakes but I aim for using grammar correctly whenever possible. A pet peeve of mine is when a place of business has misspellings in their signage: ice tea instead of iced tea, butter roll instead of buttered roll...it's everywhere. When I baked at Rice in Curry Hill I enjoyed the task of writing in chalk on the A-board on the sidewalk every morning, featuring any specials we might have for breakfast. My boss wanted me to write "Healthy Breakfast at Rice" at the top and I could change up the rest. I was stubborn and decided to write it grammatically correct and change that healthy to healthful. The sassy guy who ran the place most mornings was quick to tell me it sounded strange, but I held my ground until my boss told me to change it back. Oh well, lost that battle.

I was checking on the correct usage of the word adieu in a previous post, having seen it written as ado in the past and wondering which one was correct when I came upon this article: http://www.statemaster.com/encyclopedia/Eggcorns
People use language all the time that's incorrect but becomes correct by common use, and I find this fascinating. Don't you?

No comments:

Post a Comment