Thursday, July 15, 2010

Chops

Work makes you lazy. I know that sounds like somewhat of a contradiction but hear me out. You foggily wake up, stretch, drink coffee, watch the weather and In The Papers, take a shower, get dressed, get ready and get going, all to prepare your mind and body for work. You might like your job sometimes but it's not without it's stresses and you vow to never take it home with you but you usually do and then you find yourself staying up too late (again) in hopes to have accomplished something in your day that you truly enjoy. You wind up watching the tail-end of American Idol and fall asleep on the couch.

I find that in my busy-ness I become lazy when it comes to my art. I bought myself a creative-work desk, telling myself I would be more inclined to tackle that bag full of sewing projects sitting in my closet once I got it. I leave my bass out instead of hanging it up on the hook mounted on the wall, telling myself I'll run through some el jezel songs and write a new one when I get home. I have a drawer full of paints and paper and feathers and rhinestones, all calling my name, wanting me to make something out of them. I gotta eat, so I go home and make 'kitchen sink whatever' so that I can use up all the leftovers, but that recipe for carrot souffle is still sitting in the recipe holder, giving me Bambi eyes.

Summer vacation took forever to get here and now it is here, thank the stars above. Since I work as an independent contractor of sorts I won't get paid until I've been rehired somewhere, and that hasn't happened yet. But I'm not too worried about it. Actually, I'm conciously ignoring it. And so my summer began with a lag, me trying to shake off the remaining school year without looking back. Every day is different, so that's a start. I'm not in a pattern yet of honing any chops consistently but I am doing at least one creative thing daily. My body is a little angry because it functions best when I give it a pattern of waking- eating- exercising- doing but I console it with a little bit at a time, showing it what is to come.

And so, since I do best with deadlines, I am giving myself some. I will create posts about each creative outlet separately and update them based on my achievements. It took me a month to motivate myself to do something like this but better late than never, right?
Now, time to start honing.

No comments:

Post a Comment