Thursday, January 20, 2011

more bread makes me a happy girl










I had another baking spurt this morning. It didn't just come on out of nowhere as I need to plan ahead to a point when I'm growing my starters and such, but I didn't plan on doing so much at the same time. I had a tough day yesterday so I decided to bake to feel better. I'm keeping the calm going by working on it some more today.



I made sponge starter to try a new starter out (so far I've made gluten-free starter sans yeast that grows on the countertop as well as old dough that is added to new dough for a more complex flavor) and it grew a ton, both on the counter and in the fridge. It's nice that some bread-in-the-making will wait for me (a bit) until I'm ready to use them.
I took out my old dough from the freezer to defrost yesterday and started making Amy's Crusty Italian Loaf, which is a dough that uses the sponge. I made it and let it rise for an hour, then kept in the fridge overnight to develop. I had leftover sponge that I put in the fridge to keep longer (and it just kept growing, even in the cold!) so I decided to go crazy and start preparing it all today.
The Crusty Italian bread turned out fantastic! I made them into rings and baguettes instead of a loaf...can share the wealth better that way. I'm bringing one to Pak Sapta at the Indonesian Consulate to thank him for keeping my ipod safe in his office overnight (I had gamelan practice last night and accidently left it), will give one to my boss, one each to Audrey and Joanne, the massage therapists at the office, and will be bringing one to Liz later tonight because she asked.






I prepared Amy's Whole Wheat Sandwich Bread with Oats and Pecans as well as altered her recipe for Cinnamon Raisin Bread by subbing the black raisins for 2/3 golden 1/3 chopped apricots as well as tossing in nutmeg along with the cinnamon...now they're all sitting dutifully in the fridge until I can bake them off tonight.

Update: I baked them and they turned out very pretty.

1 comment:

  1. ps these are regular wheat flour breads. Gotta practice! I also tasted a bit. Felt a bit guilty but I need to make sure it tastes ok before giving it away!

    ReplyDelete